There are five stages that a devotee goes through in his journey of ‘elevation to Krishna Consciousness’ and towards achieving pure ecstatic love for Krishna (The Supreme Personality of Godhead). These 5 stages of Bhakti (Krishna consciousness) are as follows.
5 Stages of Bhakti | Elevation to Krishna Consciousness :
- Sravana dasa – Hearing (1st stage of Bhakti)
- Varana dasa – acceptance (2nd stage of Bhakti)
- Smarana dasa – remembrance (3rd stage of Bhakti)
- Bhavapana dasa – attainment of ecstatic spiritual emotions (4th stage of Bhakti)
- Prema Sampatti dasa – attainment of ecstatic love for Krishna (5th stage of Bhakti)
To put it very briefly, hearing about the Absolute truth from one’s spiritual master is termed as ‘Sravana dasa’. When the spiritual practitioner accepts these instructions as the truth, then he reaches a stage called ‘Varana dasa’. When he cultivates that mood along with blissful remembrance of the lord and His pastimes, he reaches ‘Smarana dasa’. When the spiritual practitioner is able to invoke that blissful mood within himself spontaneously, it is called ‘Bhavapana dasa’. And finally, when one completely detaches himself from the temporary material existence and obtains his desired constitutional form, by the mercy of Krishna, he attains ‘Prema Sampatti dasa’.